Friday, August 18, 2017

Bugs, a boat and more!

The CAS challenge at AAA cards this week is titled Summer Fun. When I was a young child in Iowa, one of my favorite things about summer was that the nights seemed magical due to the large numbers of fireflies (we called them lightening bugs.) I remember the first time my brothers stayed out long after dark and I caught several, which we quickly tucked inside of a quart jar. I went to bed with the jar on my dresser, fascinated by their flickering glow. When I woke the next morning I was aghast to see that the jar now just held plain ol' bugs! I was sure that my brothers had taken my beautiful sparkly ones and replaced them with these ugly ones. (Note, the bugs and jar are from a Fiskars clear stamp set. The sentiment is handwritten. Bugs are colors with markers and yellow chalk. I also added a bit of glitter to their little bums... added a close up so that you could see their glimmer. And also could see the lid. Tried to make it look like aluminum by stamping onto silver metallic paper.) 
 Entered into: 
AAA Card Challenges- Summer Fun              
   (aaacards.blogspot.com/)
Victorine Challenge- On Wings 
   (vostamps.blogspot.com) 

I paper pieced this sweet little sailboat to enter into a nautical card challenge. Am also entering it into a patterned paper challenge (sails and clouds) and friendship challenge, because my 40 year marriage started with a friendship that grew into more.
Entered into: 
Simon Says Monday Challenge- Nautical                        
     (simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge)
CAS-ual Fridays- Friendship                   
    (CAS-ualfridays.blogspot.com)
Crafty Hazelnut’s Patterned Paper Challenge
    (craftyhazelnutspatternedpaper.blogspot.com) 

I love the elegant simplicity of this all white wedding card. A silver plastic wedding ring adds a bit of bling. And to add more interest, I sized the card to fit into a # 10 business envelope.
Entered into:
Double D’s Challenge- All White 
    (daranddiane.blogspot.com)

Used one of my favorite free digis (from freedeariedollsdigistamps.blogspot.com) with a sentiment that I found on Pinterest to make this fun card. Also, I made small coffee bean stamps from some rubber scraps from a Stampin’ Up wood mount set. Stamped them repeatedly on strips of an old dictionary for a bold rustic addition. (Did you know there's actually a fancy name for vintage items added to cards? Ephemera! Thinking this card is pretty “Cool beans”! (Um… I am sure that saying kinda dates me. I think it is from the 70s or early 80’s?! So does that make me ephemera? Or possibly ephemeral?)
Entered into:
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge- Add a Sentiment                
     (simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge)
Word Art Wednesday Challenge- #294-295 Anything Goes                    
     (wordartwednesday.blogspot.com)



13 comments:

  1. super cute! thanks for playing along with us at AAA Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lightening Bugs are so much fun. Thank you for sharing with us at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful story to go wuth your fabulous card - would so love to see these bugs in real life, we don't get them in the UK. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card for our nautical challenge, Kathy. I love the sky and sea you created. So pretty. Thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great masculine friendship card. Thanks for sharing with us at Casual Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great take on the Victorine Originals Inspiration board. I do love fireflies! We use to catch them as kids. I rarely see them anymore. So sad. Thanks for playing along at Victorine Originals Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great card! Loved your story and how you made the bugs sparkle! Thanks for playing along with us at AAA Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the best parts of visiting family on the farm in Iowa in the summer was the Lightening Bugs, love your card and take on them, and your story made me laugh, I am sure your brothers took your pretty bugs and replaced them :) Thank you for joining us at Victorine Originals

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely cards! I really like the papers you used on the sailboat! Thanks for sharing with us at CraftyHazelnut's Patterned Paper challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! I love the jar with the lightning bugs inside! My 3 year old niece is obsessed with catching them. She would catch a bunch and use them as her night light while sleeping that night :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! The firefly jar and card is amazing! I love your sparkle and how realistic your jar looks! Thanks for joining at Victorine Originals!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful white on white creation! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘WHITE on WHITE’ challenge! We hope you’ll come back often.

    Darlene
    DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop in for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous all white wedding card! I love the size of it. Fabulous embossing and the ring accent is perfect! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Double D, All White Challenge, Donna, DT Member.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for your comments. They bring joy to my day!